Fresh-picked strawberries, handfuls (and mouthfuls!) of blueberries straight from the bush, juicy, ripe peaches plucked from the tree — Mmmm, mmm, mmm! There’s an abundance of fresh fruit that grows along the West Michigan lakeshore ready for you to pick and enjoy. First though, you need to know when and where you can pick what. Here’s a helpful guide for making a delicious U-Pick West Michigan trip.
Michigan Fruit Picking Seasons
Though Mother Nature can sometimes mess with the timing of things, generally, fruit picking seasons in West Michigan look like this:
- June – strawberries
- July – cherries, blueberries, and raspberries
- August – peaches
- Late August/September – apples
Fruit Picking Farms in West Michigan
The West Michigan area is known as the “Fruit Belt” and it’s easy to see why! All along the lakeshore, you’ll find numerous places to pick your own delicious fruit, and hey, it doesn’t get much fresher than picking it straight from the vine, bush or tree! Check out these places to get your fresh fruit fix:
South Haven, MI
This city hosts the National Blueberry Festival the second week of August every year, so don’t miss it! In the meantime, you can visit these U-Pick places throughout the summer months:
Not far from Saugatuck, Fenneville is where you’ll find a bushel of fruit picking farms (see what we did there?)
West Olive, MI
Located between Grand Haven and Holland you’ll find two blueberry picking places to make sure you get your fill!
There are plenty of yummy stops to make along this stretch of the lakeshore. Our mouths are watering just thinking about it!
Spring Lake, MI
Make a stop in Spring Lake just over the bridge from Grand Haven and you’ll find another place that’s a fruit-picking favorite around here.
Already ate all the blueberries you picked in Spring Lake? If you couldn’t help yourself (and let’s face it, who can resist?), not to worry. Keep heading north and you can re-stock in Muskegon!
Tips for Michigan Fruit Picking
Before you head to the lakeshore, keep these fruit-picking tips “fresh” in your mind to make the most of your U-Pick trip:
- Call ahead to make sure it’s a good picking day, find out the hours, and ask any questions you may have.
- Go early to get the best selection and beat the crowds (as well as the heat).
- Bring cash as u-pick farms seldom take credit cards or checks.
- There will likely be containers provided, but it’s a good idea to bring your own just in case.
- Wear a hat and slather on sunscreen — fruit fields provide very little shade or shelter from the sun.
- Place fruit gently into the container and don’t stack it too high or you’ll risk bruising the fruit on the bottom.
Nothing beats the fresh berries and fruits of West Michigan. To get your fill of the West Michigan lakeshore, give BlueWest Properties a call. We have all the inside information on the best places to live and play on the lakeshore, not to mention the best places to pick delicious, fresh fruit! Whether you’re looking for an ideal vacation spot or a place to call home, BlueWest Properties can make it happen. Reach out to our team online today.